Monday, March 15, 2010

The Voice

I received the Voice through Thomas Nielson, through their book reviewer program.

The Voice isn't just another translation, in fact it really isn't a translation at all, it's a retelling. The preface says it is holistic (considers heart, soul, and mind), beautiful (achieves literary and artistic excellence), sensitive (respects cultural shifts and the need for accuracy), and balanced (includes theologically diverse writers and scholars).

Written within the verses is commentary, or additional insight into the verse, so we can achieve a greater understanding of what the original writers meant. The writers/scholars sought to find consistency within writers as opposed to consistency through the enitre meta-narrative.

It is very easy to read. The writers made it easy to read, and more importantly easy to understand for someone who doesn't have much biblical knowledge. One thing I didn't like about the language, it was sometimes too fanciful and too beautiful. I know that probably doesn't make much sense, but I thought some verses were over the top.

All in all, I would highly recommend this for young adults/ teens who are searching for a Bible that is easy to read and understand. I give it 5 stars, it's a great version of the good book. I can't wait for them to do the Old Testement.

No comments:

Post a Comment